FIRST STATEHOUSE
In a relatively short time this double building, the
western section of which became the first statehouse, was officially
known as the capitol building. It was referred to in the land records
and became a landmark at Jamestown. The fact that this structure had
been used for court meetings before acquisition and had in all
probability witnessed council meetings, even assembly meetings, over a
period of years, may be the reason that it had already become fixed in
the minds of the colonists. The acquisition of this statehouse was
merely a change in title and not so much one of actual use. It evidently
remained the colony's statehouse for the next 14 years.
The colony did not long retain actual title to the
statehouse. The assembly in June 1642 presented to the Governor, at that
time Sir William Berkeley, as a free and voluntary gift the two houses
and orchard belonging to the colony. It seems reasonable that the
Governor should have a residence here, and it must have been understood
that council and assembly should convene here on regular occasions. This
apparently had been the case when Harvey was Governor, before the colony
had officially acquired a single structure for use by the colony. As to
the actual use of the building, such as distribution of space and rooms
regularly designated for particular meetings, little is known. To this
two-building structure, at some unknown date, Sir William Berkeley added
a third. He added a brick house to the west end of the group, thus
forming a brick structure made up of three separate and distinct
sections. On March 30, 1655, Berkeley sold this to the then Governor,
Richard Bennett, for 27,500 pounds of tobacco.

Interior of the statehouse foundations
looking from east to west. Note Dutch brick floor in lower right
corner.
|
Evidently the first statehouse was burned, partially
burned, or otherwise rendered unserviceable sometime in the early part
of 1656, for in December of that year the assembly enacted legislation
to cover the expense of the court and committees incurred when they met
in privately owned buildings. Besides, an additional act set aside
20,000 pounds of tobacco to cover the cost of accommodating the
"Governor and Councill att James Cittie during quarter courts and
Assemblyes." Even before this legislation, however, there is evidence
that another statehousethe second statehousehad been or was
being provided.
From 1641 until 1656 it can be assumed that the first
statehouse functioned as the center of government for the
colonythe place where assemblies met, courts were held, and
council sessions were called. Although considerable activity must have
taken place before 1641, during the interval that followed all important
events of the day must have been associated with this brick statehouse.
From it must have come the "Remonstrance of the Grand Assembly" against
the recharter of the old company in 1642, the repeated legislative acts
to encourage western exploration, and heated reverberations of the
Virginia-Maryland boundary dispute. Many routine matters must have been
discussed here by the representatives of the colonyregulation of
religious matters, the organization of the judicial system, the
establishment of county boundaries, the authorization of ferries and
bridges, regulation of trade (both internal and external), and taxation,
to name but a few. Without doubt, the action against non-conformists in
regard to church matters, that forced a later governor and owner of the
state house, Richard Bennett, to leave the colony, echoed here. It was
in 1647 that the assembly passed a law requiring all ministers to read
prescribed prayers, thus launching the attack. Perhaps the surrender of
Virginia to the Parliament of England in 1652 was one of the most
stirring events associated with this structure.
Sir William Berkeley was most loyal to the Crown, and
the colony went far in supporting his position, yet in the end, when
commissioners appointed by Parliament appeared before Jamestown in the
ship Guinea, Virginia surrendered to the Commonwealth of England,
despite Berkeley's plans for defensive measures. The terms arranged for
the surrender were quite liberal. As agreed upon, Virginia was to enjoy
all of her old privileges and to be free of taxes and customs, except
such as were to be imposed by the assembly. In regard to popular control
the colony had more freedom than heretofore. The assembly became the
chief organ of the government with full power to name the Governor and
his council. The assembly proceeded to name and elect Richard Bennett as
Governor, with William Claiborne as Secretary of State, both men being
adherents of Cromwell. While these momentous changes were taking place,
the statehouse must have been the busiest spot in the colony.
This first Virginia statehouse also served as the
official residence, and private home as well, of three well known
Virginia GovernorsSir John Harvey, Sir William Berkeley, and
Richard Bennett. Sir John Harvey, who served two terms as Governor in
Virginia, is better known perhaps for his autocratic and arbitrary
methods than for his more constructive accomplishments. Sir William
Berkeley, an outstanding figure in the history of the colony, served
long in Virginia and for much of the time wisely. He came to the colony,
a well traveled Oxford graduate, in 1642. He remained Governor until
Virginia submitted to Parliament and then withdrew to his plantation at
Green Spring, near Jamestown. In 1660 the assembly called him from
retirement, naming him Governor for a second time. After the
restoration, Charles II renewed his commission as Royal Governor. He was
to remain as Governor until the events of Bacon's Rebellion would lead
to his recall.
The third Governor to use and own a part of the
statehouse group was Richard Bennett. He had come to Virginia in 1621 to
take charge of his uncle's plantation in present Isle of Wight County,
Virginia. In the colony he became active in political affairs and
emerged as a councilor in 1639. He was a Puritan in sympathy, however,
and in 1649 he felt it necessary to leave Virginia because of his
religious affiliations. He took up a short residence in the neighboring
colony of Maryland and was later named as one of the commissioners for
the reduction of Virginia. The assembly named him Governor, a post which
he held from 1652 until March 1655. At that time he was sent to England
as agent.

Detail of built-in oven in eastern
section of statehouse.
|
Even though the first statehouse ceased to function
as the colony's capitol in 1656, the interesting history of the house
did not cease. The place was renovated and again used as a residence
until fire wrecked it in 1670. Linking the former owners with the later
owners of this group of buildings, it reads like a register of old James
River families: Harvey, Berkeley, Bennett, Woodhouse, Talbot, Bland,
Marable, Randolph. Swan, Ludwell, Stegg, Bacon, and Sherwood.
It is from later transfers that it is possible to
glean many of the known facts about the structure, such as its size, its
use, how it was eventually destroyed, and the identification of the men
who owned it. A short quotation from a deed of conveyance for the
"westermost" house of the group from Henry Randolph to Thomas Ludwell on
April 7, 1671, will make this clear:
one messuage or tenement of brick building of 40
feet long and 20 feet wide being the messuage of Pt. [part] of that
fabrick pile of building which contains three tenements, the middlemost
whereof was the old State house which messuage was formerly in the
occupation of Richard Bennett Esqr situate, lying and being on
the river side in James city. . . . [11]
11Minutes of the Council and General
Court, pages 514515. See note 8 for full reference.
|