DISCOVERY OF FOUNDATIONS OF
BUILDING
There was thus much precise factual material
available regarding the statehouse before its ruins were found. It
attracted considerable attention when at various intervals from 1932 to
1935, in piecemeal fashion, the foundations of a building were uncovered
at Jamestown having three separate sections (an east, a west, and a
middle section) located by the river side and in the general area where
it was thought the first statehouse was erected. Naturally, the
supposition was that the ruins of this building had been found. When the
architectural pattern of the building, as well as the relics and
artifacts found in association with it, proved to be seventeenth
century; and especially when dimensions checked very closely with known
dimensions, the case was strengthened further.
It has been reported that as early as 1901, when Mr.
and Mrs. Edward E. Barney, then owners of much of Jamestown Island, were
conducting random explorations in the town site on the hunt for any
relic or landmark to be found, they encountered the foundations of a
building. This building proved to be that now identified as the first
statehouse, although they were unaware of this identification at the
time. The report is that they dug into the eastern section of the
building, encountering a fireplace where there were fine feathery ashes
still in place. In the center of the fireplace was a three-legged pot
containing bones, as if a meal had been stopped in the course of
preparation.

These objects were among the many taken
from the location of the first statehouse.
|
In 1932 George C. Gregory conducted much more careful
research at Jamestown. After studying the town site, using what
historical data he could collect, he tentatively concluded on the
location of the statehouse. It was while exploring on the ground that he
encountered the actual foundations of a building which he identified as
that which he was seeking. His work was extended until he had exposed
the general outline of the foundations and carried out limited
excavations.
|