|
DISCOVERY OF FOUNDATIONS OF FIRST STATEHOUSE
There was thus much precise factual material
available regarding the statehouse before its ruins were found. It
attracted considerable attention when at various intervals from 1932 to
1935, in piecemeal fashion, the foundations of a building were uncovered
at Jamestown having three separate sections (an east, a west, and a
middle section) located by the riverside and in the general area where
it was thought the first statehouse was erected. Naturally, the
supposition was that the ruins of this building had been found. When
the architectural pattern of the building, as well as the relics and
artifacts found in association with it, proved to be 17th century; and
especially when dimensions checked very closely with known dimensions,
the case was strengthened further.
It has been reported that as early as 1901, when Mr.
and Mrs. Edward E. Barney, then owners of much of Jamestown Island, were
conducting random explorations in the town site on the hunt for any
relic or landmark to be found, they encountered the foundations of a
building. This building proved to be that now identified as the first
statehouse, although they were unaware of this identification at the
time. The report is that they dug into the eastern section of the
building, encountering a fireplace where there were fine feathery ashes
still in place. In the center of the
fireplace was a three-legged pot containing bones, as
if a meal had been stopped in the course of preparation.
In 1932 George C. Gregory conducted much more careful
research at Jamestown. After studying the townsite, using what
historical data he could collect, he tentatively concluded on the
location of the statehouse. It was while exploring on the ground that he
encountered the actual foundations of a building which he identified as
that which he was seeking. His work was extended until he had exposed
the general outline of the foundations and carried out limited
excavations.
In 1934 Jamestown Island, excepting the area
administered by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia
Antiquities, became a part of Colonial National Historical Park. Within
a short time a many-sided research program was launched including
archeological study of the Jamestown townsite. The foundations of the
first statehouse, as identified by Mr. Gregory, were completely
excavated between September 1934 and February 1935.
The foundations of a three-section structure
approximately 40 feet long and 60 feet wide were uncovered, each section
appearing as a building 40 feet long and 20 feet wide, with no visible
connection with the others excepting common adjoining walls. One section
was toward the east; one, toward the west; and between them was a middle
section. The orientation and size conformed to known facts. This was
only a part of the check of the actual remains with documentary facts.
Architectural evidence indicated that the western section was not a part
of the original housethe middle and east sectionsbut was a
later addition. It will be recalled that Berkeley built a western
section to the first statehouse. Still another fact is that the distance
from the river to the building checked with that given in land records.
After a close examination of the house the architect concluded that the
plan was similar to the two-room type of 17th-century New England
house, a plan based on the 17th-century English house. He continued,
however:
The plan of this brick foundation by the shore of old
Jamestown is unique in the annals of early American architecture. The
writer has seen no other early plan even remotely resembling this one.
For its prototype possibly one has to look across the ocean to those
picturesque towns and villages of seventeenth century England where the
dwellings stand row on row with their long sides adjacent.
With a preponderance of 17th-century materials,
evidences of 17th-century workmanship and plan, and many 17th-century
relics, there was left little room to doubt the early construction of
this "stack" of buildings. Originally, it stood a row of brick
buildings done in English bond, joined on their long side and having a
tile roof and casement windows.
The interior arrangement of each section is
essentially the same. There are two rooms in each, divided by fireplaces
and foundations of fireplaces set back to back. One room has an
oval-shaped brick oven, probably used for baking. A passageway connects
the two rooms of each section, yet the sections themselves appear
unconnected from the inside. These brick paved basement rooms, one paved
with Dutch bricks laid on edge, the others with English bricks, are each
connected with the outside by brick steps leading to the ground level.
Charred sills and blackened roof tile indicate destruction by fire.
Plaster fragments, still clinging to the otherwise bare walls, indicate
that once these rooms were plastered.
In and around the house many things were
uncoveredfire tongs, ladles, a hatchet, candle snuffers, a napkin
ring, a chamber pot, dishes, jugs, vases, bottles, and pipes. Objects
such as these indicate long use of the building as a residence. Much
hardware was found associated with the structure. There were many pairs
of hinges, some showing the Dutch influence, some like those in use in
17th-century England, and half a "cock's head" hinge dating in design
from early Roman times. Many pintles still remained in the eyes of the
hinges. Two fragments of wrought iron lattice casement windows were
found in the ruins. They closely resembled those in use in England at
the time. Glass fragments all around were mostly of an olive-green
color. Some of the fragments when fitted together formed diamond-shaped
window panes. One casement window latch, or fastener, came to light.
There were many locks and lock fragments, one of them a heart-shaped
cabinet lock and one, a 12-inch lock bolt. A cross-shaped keyhole
dominates one lock-plate. There were hand-made nails in quantity, along with
hooks, footscrapers, spikes, and staples. Some paving tile was unearthed
and an abundance of roofing tile, some rounded, some curved, ranging in
color from chocolate brown to light yellow or cream. The plaster
fragments on the walls were of poor quality oyster-shell lime and marl.
It all paints a vivid picture of 17th-century workmanship, materials,
design, and architecture in general.

Interior wall of first statehouse foundations showing
plaster fragments.
From design and use the statehouse must have been for
many years one of the best known and most frequently used buildings in
the town. While serving as the statehouse it became a landmark, and for
almost a quarter of a century after it reverted to exclusive private
use; in fact, even after its final destruction it was still thought of
as such. For much more than a decade it satisfied the major needs of the
assembly. By 1656, when the building was no longer in use as a
statehouse, the assembly, born in 1619, had proceeded well on its
course of evolution as a major feature of colonial government.
It seems apparent that by the close of this period
Virginia's General Assembly had become a bicameral body in reality as
well as in theory, each body meeting and acting separately. The upper
house, the council, named by the King, was nominally limited in
membership to men of wealth and position. In this house had come to rest
the powers of concurrence, rejection, or amendment of the laws
originating in the lower house, the House of Burgesses. The lower house,
made up of representatives apportioned to the counties and elected now
by limited franchise, possessed the real legislative power. The tendency
was for each locality to send its best and most influential men to the
assembly. These men, jealous of their rights, had already with dogged
determination claimed and held, for the most part, the power over
taxation, the right of passing on their own members, and the right of
certain freedom from arrest for burgesses while the assembly was in
session. Since Virginia was a new country, wealth was limited, and the
burgesses, unlike the members of the House of Commons in England, the
model for the Virginia body, ordered their expenses paid during assembly
meetings. Philip Alexander Bruce, speaking of these early legislators,
had this to say:
Although the Burgesses were distinguished by a strong
spirit of loyalty to England and the throne, nevertheless they had a
clear conception of their rights, and never lacked the courage to
maintain them against even the King himself.
In organization the House of Burgesses had developed
many of the features common to similar bodies today. Although still in
evolution the house by 1656 had many of the officers and committees
necessary to a legislative body. The speakership was by far the leading
office, and it was normally filled by selection in the house. The clerk
likewise owed his selection to the burgesses. Other officers included a
sergeant-at-arms, doorkeepers, and a chaplain. Committees, used
even in the first assembly, came to include the committee for private
causes, that for the review of acts, that of the levy, and others
whenever necessary. Much of the legislative work was done in
committee.
The acts of the assembly became the law of the land
when approved by the Governor. If enactments later were annulled in
England that then nullified their continued operation in the colony. As
early as 1631, it was required that the acts of the assembly be
published in one form or another in all parts of the colony so that all
could know the terms of new legislation.
It was in the period of the Commonwealth that the
power of the house reached its zenith in the 17th century. At this time
the house managed the affairs of the colony with few instructions from
the mother country. Appointment of both the Governor and his council
rested here, and so extreme were the claims of this body that it denied
the long established right of the Governor to dissolve it. In one
instance, in electing a Governor, the burgesses formally declared that
they invested him with all rights and privileges incidental to the
position. In 1656 the assembly went so far as to appoint all the
justices of the county courts and the principal military officers,
hitherto one of the usual prerogatives of the Governor.
After the restoration of royal authority in 1660,
there was a lessening of the power held by the burgesses, yet the
development of this body continued. The significance and importance of
the elected representatives of the people never faded from public
conscience. Attempts to curb their power came from time to time, yet
from these struggles they emerged victorious for the most part. In the
first half century of its history, the colony of Virginia had developed
a full-fledged assembly with an elected chamber where great legislative
power rested. Much of this early development was associated with the
colony's first capitol buildingits first statehouse. Truly this
structure stands as a landmark in the growth of popular government and
democracy in America.

Earthenware baking dish, crock, three-legged dish,
glass wine bottle, and slipware cup or mug, uncovered during the
excavation of the first statehouse.
|