|
LATER STATEHOUSES
Accommodations for the functioning of the established
government of the growing colony were now an accepted public obligation.
This included the maintenance of a statehouse (capitol building) or the
rental of space in private homes, taverns, or elsewhere.
The Second Statehouse
It is from the record of a payment to Thomas
Woodhouse, a tavern keeper at Jamestown, "for the quarter courts
[general court] setting at his house two courts and for the committee's
accommodation," that it is possible to fix the burning of the first
statehouse as prior to June 1656. There are no rental payments recorded
between December 1656 and October 1660 indicating, perhaps, that the
second statehouse was functioning in this period. It seems clear that
there was such a structure for it is specifically mentioned in a land
patent of the period. It appears to have been a building purchased for
the purpose and one that, like the first, was burned after some 5 years
of use. It was located, it seems, in the main part of town yet some
short distance north and west of the earlier structure and not directly
on the riverfront. It was necessary, again, in October 1660 to rent
space for the Governor and council from Woodhouse and quarters for the
assembly from Thomas Hunt, another ordinary keeper at a combined cost of
7,500 pounds of tobacco. Evidently rented quarters such as these were
used as needed for the next several years.
The Third Statehouse
In October 1660 the assembly requested Berkeley to
contract for a new statehouse. In March 1661 a general subscription was
initiated instead of a tax levy yet apparently this did not achieve its
objective. With some disgust, and perhaps embarrassment, the Burgesses
considered the matter again in 1663 with these comments:
Since the charge the country is yearly at for houses
for the quarter courts and assemblys to sit in would in two or 3 years
defray the purchase of a state house.
Whether it were not more profitable to purchase for
that purpose then continue for ever at the expence, accompanied with the
dishonour of all our laws being made and our judgments given in
alehouses.
A committee was named to discuss the matter with the
governor. Two years later a chance reference in a letter written by
Thomas Ludwell on April 10, 1665, states that the colony "had already
built enough to accommodate the affairs of the country." This and
subsequent references have been taken to mean that Jamestown's third
statehouse had been provided, was complete, and in use in 1665. As such
it was the first to be planned and built as a statehouse, the others
having been purchased from private owners. Its location was determined
and its foundations laid bare by Col. Samuel H. Yonge, during
excavations in 1903. This confirmed the site suggested by existing land
records. It was built on a thin ridge of land near the western extremity
of the town and consciously, or unknowingly, on the site of an
extensive burial ground that had served the settlement in its early
days.
The third statehouse was in use for a decade and its
memory was made lasting by the events of Bacon's Rebellion. Those were
stirring days that in the end saw Nathaniel Bacon, Jr., return and, in
September 1676, apply the torch to much of Jamestown including its
statehouse.
Like the first statehouse before it, the third was a
part of a row of buildings being the inlandmost of a group of five
structures all joined by common walls. It measured 74 by 20 feet.
Little is known of the appearance of this significant structure and much
that has been said about it is drawn in large part from the fact that
the fourth statehouse is thought to have been raised on its foundations
and to have used its existing remnants. A reexcavation of the site in
195455 yielded little in this respect beyond indicating that the
third probably had a tile roof while the fourth had one of slate.
Contemporary references indicate that the third was a two-story
building and that the council chamber (and courthouse) was on the first
floor with the assembly meeting on the second floor in "a long room."

South, or front, elevation of the third statehouse as drawn by
Henry Chandlee Forman for the Virginia 350th Anniversary Commission.
(Copyright applied for by the Commission.)

East elevation of the third statehouse as drawn by Hendry Chandler
Forman for the Virginia 350th Anniversary Commission. (Copyright
applied for by the Commission.)
The Fourth (and Last) Statehouse
In the 9-year interval after 1676 the colony was
without a statehouse. For a time the assembly, as well as other
governing units, met at Green Spring, the home of Governor Sir William
Berkeley just 3 miles to the west of Jamestown. Then there was a return
to the rental of quarters in homes and ordinaries at Jamestown. Capt.
William Armiger, Mrs. Ann Macon, Henry Gawler, and William Sherwood are
among those that profited in supplying accommodations for assembly,
council, and committee work such rentals including "fire candles and
attendance."
It was in 1684 that the matter of building a new
statehouse reached the point of specific action in the assembly. After
discussion, debate, and some hesitation the decision was reached to
rebuild on the same site occupied by the third statehouse and evidently
to use any part of its remains that were sound. In 1677 "the walls of
brick worke" were "yett standing." In one view, at least, it was
thought that they might "yet be serviceable."
An order of the assembly made on December 4, 1685,
clearly implies that Jamestown's fourth, and last, statehouse was
nearing completion. Payment was cleared (a substantial sum of
£400) for Col. Philip Ludwell, "out of the Moneys accruing from
the duty of three pence per gallon upon liquors," for "rebuilding the
State House." It was not, however, entirely complete since Ludwell had
to post bond "for the full compleating of the House in such manner as
shall be fully satisfactory to his Excellency, the Council & the
House of Burgesses ..." The new building had been sufficiently along on
October 1, 1685, that "Several of the Burgesses" met in
it. It seemingly was fully operational in 1686.

Foundations of the last statehouse group in the
Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities grounds at
Jamestown. The statehouse is in the foreground. Beyond it are the
remains of three houses of Philip Ludwell and then the Country House
which has been partly destroyed by the eroding waters of the James
River.
It was a 2-story building. The ground floor was
divided into two parts. One, the courthouse room, was used by the
council, and was about 43 feet long. The other room, some 31 feet long,
was probably a waiting room. On the second floor there was space for the
burgesses and an office for the secretary of state, the latter in a
"Porch Chamber" on the south. The assembly, needing the space for their
clerk and not considering the secretary of state the proper officer to
be so close to its deliberations succeeded in moving him. Space for the
secretary was found on the lower floor by appropriating a part of the
waiting room.
The fourth statehouse, like all of its predecessors,
succumbed to fire. In October 1698, after some 13 years of use, flames
destroyed it and very probably all of the structures adjacent to it. The
following spring burgesses and councilors met again in private homes
and in what space could be had at Jamestown. It was at this time that
the decision was made to move the seat of government to a new
locationto Williamsburg some 6 miles away. It was here that the
assembly convened in 1700 and it was here that the next statehouse (now
for the first time called the "Capitol") was constructed.
The 1698 fire which destroyed the fourth statehouse
was of great concern to Jamestown for it was the immediate reason for
the removal of the seat of government. It was this act that meant the
end of "James Citty." With little activity left other than that
associated with the government of the colony it could not, and did not
survive as an organized urban community for many decades beyond 1700. In
its 92 years as Virginia's capital, however, it had been the scene of
great events not the least of them being the slow unfolding and growth
of a representative legislative assembly. This which began in
1619the first by Europeans in the western
hemispherewas fast becoming a major instrument of
government.
|