Bold and resilient, the Old Post Office is an architectural
expression of the American spirit. Its story symbolizes the fight to save our
past amid changing ideas, values, and visions. Its preservation provides a link
between the historic past and possibilities for the future.
The building now known as the Old Post Office was
constructed in the 1890s as a technological marvel. Its 315-foot height made it
the tallest building in the District of Columbia. Even today, only the 555-foot
Washington Monument and the 329-foot Basilica of the National Shrine, of the
Immaculate Conception are taller. The Old Post Office's French Gothic dormers,
massive granite veneer walls, double-arched stone entrances, and clock tower
establish it as one of the country's last examples of Richardsonian Romanesque
Revivalism, a style considered America's first innovative architectural
contribution. Willoughby J. Edbrooke, the Supervising Architect of the Treasury
when construction began, intended the building to reflect "light and ventilation
and convenience."
Designed as the headquarters for the Postmaster General of
the United States and the U.S. Post Office Department, as well as the location
of the city post office, the building garnered immediate attention for housing
Washington's largest uninterrupted enclosed interior and two glass ceilings
arching over the huge interior. Additionally, the building achieved fame as one
of the first major steel frame buildings erected in Washington and one of the
largest government buildings built to that date. Affording the highest public
clock in the District, it also became the tallest federal building and the first
government structure with an electrical power plant.
"The Old Tooth"
Ironically, no sooner had construction commenced on the
building than its architectural idiom fell into disfavor with government
planners who preferred to cast future federal buildings in the neoclassical
mold. The Old Post Office soon became an object of derision. Critics referred to
it as "The Old Tooth" and called for its demolition.
The building served as the city post office from 1898 to
1914 and as offices for the United States Post Office Department from 1899 to
1934. During that period, many of the measures that modernized the delivery of
mail, particularly the advent of airmail, came into being. The building also
became famous for its elaborate Flag Day pageantry and held the singular
distinction of hanging within the large interior one of the larger flags then in
existence.
The Federal Triangle
The Old Post Office also became the first federal building
to be constructed along the most hallowed stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue, the
one and one-half miles between the Capitol and the White House. It also became
the first federal building erected on Washington's famed Federal Triangle, the
first large area to be set aside for government use. The Federal Triangle
resulted from a plan by architectural consultants authorized by Treasury
Secretary Andrew Mellon in 1928. The so-called Mellon Board recommended that the
entire Triangle comprise new buildings constructed in the neoclassical style,
with all previous architectural anomalies to be demolished. A shortage of funds
during the Great Depression handed the Old Post Office a reprieve. Over the
years, the building has had numerous tenants including the Departments of
Agriculture, Defense, Interior, and Justice, the Federal Bureau of
Investigation, the General Accounting Office, the Interstate Commerce
Commission, the Smithsonian Institution, and the United States Information
Agency.
"A Jewel"
During succeeding decades, public opinion gradually
changed. People looked at the clock tower, rising above the low Pennsylvania
Avenue skyline, as an anchoring point. The building itself became a revered
relic. A 1970 National Park Service Section Report called the tower of the Old
Post Office "one of the most powerful visual landmarks in downtown Washington,"
one that "dominates the skyline from many viewpoints more than either the
Capitol or the Washington Monument." In 1974, the Washington Star-News
said it possessed "terrific character." Three years later, a Preliminary
Historic Structures Report for General Services Administration called the Old
Post Office "a jewel adorning Washington and more specifically Pennsylvania
Avenue with a massive verticality that relieves the continuous horizontalness of
the Federal Triangle" and "a pleasing pedestrian attraction linking present and
past into a continuum of time and place."
Old buildings are like old friends, they reassure people in
times of rapid change. They encourage people to dream about their citiesto
think before they build, to consider alternatives before they tear down.
Nancy Hanks
Testimony before Congress
Preservation
In the early 1970s, individuals and groups mobilized
against the government's long-delayed plan to raze the building. In 1971, a few
dozen people formed "Don't Tear It Down," the forerunner of the current D.C.
Historic Preservation League. Also, Nancy Hanks, the second chairperson of the
National Endowment for the Arts, launched an aggressive campaign to recycle the
building. The result was Congress' adoption of the Public Buildings Cooperative
Use Act of 1976, legislation that for the first time allowed both government
agencies and commercial enterprises to share federally-owned buildings.
Beginning in 1978, the building underwent renovation.
Rededicated in 1983, the Old Post Office now takes its rightful place as the
pioneering federal building on the Federal Triangle.
In the words of the 1977 Preliminary Historic Structures
Report, it is now both "a landmark for the Nation, the Federal City, and the
Post Office, and to building construction and development" and "also a monument
and a landmark to the foresight and vision of modern preservationists devoted to
the conservation of our built environment, our historic patrimony, and the
quality of life within our cities."
The Congress Bells
The Ditchley Foundation of England, an organization founded
by Sir David Wills to promote Anglo-American education and communication in
international issues, presented a gift of ten bells to the United States
Congress, in "honor of American Bicentennial, in 1976. Congress directed the
bells to be placed in the tower of the Old Post Office. The belts were installed
on the tenth floor of the tower in 1983 following the completion of the
buildings' renovation. The bells rang for the first time on April 19, 1983, the
200th anniversary of the congressional proclamation that ceased hostilities
between England and America in the Revolutionary War.
The bells range in weight from 581 to 2,953 pounds and
total nearly six tons. The Whitechapel Foundry in London cast the bells in a
ratio of three-quarters copper and one-quarter tin in 1976 as replicas of the
famous beils in London's Westminster Abbey. The great seals of both countries
decorate each bell.
Members of the Washington Ringing Society, a volunteer
group based in the District of Columbia, areas ring the bells in performance
during all American holidays and on days of national significance and state
occasion. Distinguished visiting change ringing groups are also frequently
permitted to perform. Practice sessions occur Thursday nights from 7 to 9
o'clock. The tower is closed during bell ringings, but the sound may be heard at
street level outside the building.
Nancy Hanks
As chairperson of the National Endowment for the Arts from
1969 to 1977, Nancy Hanks became a visible force in petitioning the government
to preserve the Old Post Office. "Old buildings are like old friends," she
observed about the assurance and stability that a familiar building can impart.
She testified before a Senate subcommittee on behalf of saving the Old Post
Office. Her efforts proved instrumental in influencing Congress to pass the
Public Buildings Cooperative Use Act in 1976 which preserved the landmark.
She died of cancer on January 7, 1983, at 56. On February
2, Congress passed a bill honoring her legacy by renaming the Old Post Office
and its adjacent plazas the Nancy Hanks Center. President Ronald Reagan signed
the legislation into law on February 15.
Source: NPS Brochure (undated)
|
Establishment
Old Post Office Tower 1892-1899 (constructed)
|
 |
Documents
No documents currently available.
|