 |
MOUNT RAINIER ROADS AND BRIDGES TIMELINE OF DEVELOPMENTS |
|
| 75,000 or so Years Ago |  |
Mount Rainier reaches maximum height |
| 1792 |
|
Captain George Vancouver of the British Royal Navy "discovers"
mountain and names it for friend, Admiral Peter Rainier |
| 1860s |
|
Citizens of Pierce County survey road and railway routes over Cowlitz
Pass near park's present southeast corner; never built |
| 1870 |  |
Hazard Stevens and P.B. Van Trump make first documented ascent of Mount
Rainier |
| 1890 |
|
Longmire family and Native American helpers construct first road into
area |
| 1899 |  |
Mount Rainier National Park established by act of Congress |
| 1903 |  |
First funds appropriated for park road; U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
placed in charge |
| 1903-04 |
|
Eugene Ricksecker directs road survey from Nisqually Entrance to
Paradise Valley; construction begins |
| 1904 |
|
Tacoma Eastern Railway reaches Ashford near west boundary; visitation up
significantly; stages begin daily service to Longmire in 1906 |
| 1911 |  |
President Taft's car, one of first to reach Paradise Valley; partly
pulled by mules |
| 1914 |
|
Women allowed to drive on park roads |
| 1915 |  |
"Road to Paradise" completed; first road in America to reach a glacier |
| 1916 |  |
National Park Service established |
| 1921 |  |
Carbon River Road constructed |
| 1925 |
|
National Park Service and Bureau of Public Roads sign agreement; BPR
assumes construction of all national park roads. Three-year park road
program begins with reconstruction of Nisqually Road; surveys for West
Side, East Side and White River roads |
| 1931 |  |
White River Road completed; opening of Sunrise development in Yakima Park |
| 1932 |
|
Mather Memorial Parkway; first access to park from eastern Washington |
| 1933 |  |
Mowich Lake Road built, but does not open until 1955 |
| 1933-42 |
|
Civilian Conservation Corps, Emergency Conservation Works programs
improve park infrastructure |
| 1934 |
|
West Side Road completed as far as North Puyallup River; never
extended |
| 1940 |  |
East Side Highway completed |
| 1957 |  |
Stevens Canyon Highway links east and west sides of park; last major
road development |
| 1992 |
|
Mount Rainier roads and bridges documented by NPS Historic American
Engineering Record |
| 1999 |
|
Mount Rainier National Park Centennial |
|