 |
ACADIA TIMELINE OF DEVELOPMENTS |
|
| 2-3 million years ago |
|
Glaciers descend from Canada and cover Mount Desert Island, carving
the mountains and lakes of Acadia National Park. |
| B.C. |
|
Indigenous people live year round on the island which they call
Pemetic, the sloping land. |
| A.D. 1604 |
|
French explorer Samuel Champlain "discovers" Pemetic and renames it
Mount Desert Island, after its barren peaks. |
| 1761 |
|
European colonists settle year round on Mount Desert Island and began
to develop transporation routes. |
| 1776 |
|
Year-round residents vote to construct the island's first public road,
running from Cromwell Harbor to Hulls Cove. |
| 1844 |
|
Thomas Cole, leader of the Hudson River School of landscape painting,
visits. He and other painters soon popularize the scenic attractions of
Acadia. |
| 1850s |
|
The Brewer family constructs a buckboard wagon toll-road along part of
the old Wabanaki foot path to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. |
| 1880s |
|
Heyday of the "Cottager" era on Mount Desert Island. Steam-powered cog
railway constructed to summit of Cadillac (Green) Mountain. |
| 1903-15 |
|
Controversy erupts over the introduction of autos to the island. A movement
led mainly by summer residents bans cars in 1909. 1915 state law permits autos
in all towns on the island. |
| 1911 |
|
John D. Rockefeller, Jr. begins constructing first carriage
road on his Seal Harbor estate. |
| 1916 |
|
National Park Service created. George B. Dorr succees in establishing
Sieur de Monts National Monument. |
| 1919 |
|
Sieur de Monts National Monumenet is expanded and redesignated
as Lafayette National Park. |
| 1922 |
|
Park superintendent Dorr and Rockefeller begin constructing first
motor road in Acadia NP, the Mountain Road from Eagle Lake to Jordan
Pond Tea House. |
| 1924 |
|
Carriage road pits Rockefeller against wealthy island cottagers who
wish to restrict its extension. Interior Secretary Hubert Work allows
construction to proceed. |
| 1929 |
|
Lafayette National Park renamed Acadia National Park. |
| 1932 |
|
Cadillac Mountain Road completed by the Bureau of Public Roads, providing
motorists access to highest summit on island. |
| 1939 |
|
Day Mountain Road, last of the Rockefeller carriage roads, is completed. |
| 1952 |
|
Paradise Hill motor road completed by Bureau of Public Roads, providing
direct access to the Park Loop Road bypassing Bar Harbor. |
| 1958 |
|
Final segment of the Park Loop Road completed under National Park Service
"Mission 66" program. |
| 1990s |
|
NPS and Friends of Acadia undertake multi-year rehabilitation of the
park carriage road system. Federal Lands Highway Program rehabs
motor road segments. |
| 1994-95 |
|
Historic American Engineering Record, NPS, documents park roads. |
|